If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT
JEWELERS-STUDIO OF SAN JOSE
My name is DeeZer, and I am a jewelry photographer. Following are questions that have been asked thus far about my work, and a few I anticipate might be asked in the future:
- Q. How much will it cost for JEWELERS-STUDIO to photograph my jewelry?
A. Because jewelry photography can sometimes get a bit complicated, the answer can be equally complex. The following should simplify my response:
- The minimum studio fee for a session, or a new setup as part of a session, is $100.00.
- Within a setup, the charge is $10.00 per item/per view/per treatment.
- All items photographed during a session, or setup, must be of-a-kind.
- Items requiring a different setup begin anew the $100.00 minimum.
- Q. What constitutes a new setup?
A. Generally, the way an item is posed before the camera, a change of the camera lens, or a major change in the lighting equipment used will dictate that a new setup fee be charge; however, you will be made aware of this situation before you commit to doing business.
- Q. Would you explain further?
A. Sure! Suppose you ask that I photograph 15 items of-a-kind for you. That would put the fee at $150.00. In addition, suppose you request that I photograph two of the 15 items from an additional angle. Since the charge is $10.00 for each delivered file, the total charge would be $170.00. If, in addition to the original 15 items, you presented two additional items that required a different setup, the total charge would be $270.00. Remember, the minimum studio or setup fee is $100.00, and for that amount you may request as many as 10 different photos.
- Q. What if I want two (or more) of 'something' photographed together? Do you charge the item fee for each of the items?
A. Not if the items bear some resemblance to each other and are to be so displayed and/or sold together as a set. 'Ganging' items together as a way to save on shooting fees is not acceptable.
- Q. What about a closer view of a piece?
A. Not a problem! Certain pieces, such as necklaces, often require a closer view to show the detail and true beauty of the item. I refer to this type of photo as a 'shoot thru'. When possible, a 'shoot thru' must be requested before the shot is taken, and are $5.00 each. For an example, CLICK HERE.
- Q. How do we know that 'we' have completed the work?
A. I use state-of-the-art digital equipment. The camera is tethered directly to a Macintosh computer. As each frame is shot, it appears on a Sony 21 inch monitor within seconds. The image is still in a raw state without the benefit of color balance and sharpening, but it does give us a good idea of what we have captured.
- Q. What kind of equipment do you use?
A. I currently use four state-of-the-art digital cameras. The first is a Nikon D700 12.1 MP full-frame. The second is a 13.89 MP Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n full-frame. The third is a 10.2 MP Nikon D200, and the fourth is a 6.1 MP Nikon D100 SLR. All lenses used are top-of-the-line from Nikon and Carl Zeiss. The lighting equipment currently used is from Nikon, Alien Bees and White Lightning. Post processing is done on Macintosh computers using Photoshop.
- Q. Exactly what do I get for my money?
A. As I photograph and post-process each photo for you, I will post it to a web site constructed specifically for you. This will allow you to view the work as it is created. Each posted file will have a resolution of 300 dpi, and be either 800 pixels wide or 700 pixels high.
Within 72-hours of the completion of the post-production, I will post to the Internet a ZIP Archive containing the same files as posted to the above mentioned web site. Each file will have a resolution of 300 dpi, but (unless otherwise requested) it will be sized to 1500 x 2100 pixels. This is the size required to make a high-quality 5x7 inch print.
- Q. Is it possible for me to obtain a DVD containing ALL photos taken.
A. Yes! For an additional charge of $10.00, I will prepare and burn a DVD containing ALL files created during the course of photographing your session. If you wish the DVD to be mailed to you, there is an additional charge of $15.00.
- Q. Will you hand-finish each file to specifications of my choosing?
A. Yes, but there is an additional fee of $5.00 per file. For that sum, I will provide fully-edited files.
- Q. What do you mean by fully-edited?
A. Editing usually involves the following steps:
- Color Balancing
- Determination of White-Point, Contrast and Brightness
- Cropping and Proportional Sizing
- Image Sharpening
- Q. Do you provide prints?
A. No. Using the files I provide, high-quality prints are quite inexpensive to come by.
- Q. What size prints will I be able to have made from the files you supply?
A. If you wish to make prints larger than 5x7 inches, please advise me so BEFORE I do the actual photography. High-quality 11x14 inch photos are possible. Larger sized prints are possible, but only with a reduction in image quality.
- Q. Can I get faster service than what you state above?
A. Yes. For no additional fee, I can provide near-same-day delivery to you of my work on smaller assignments.
- Q. Who holds the copyrights to the photos?
A. I retain the right to use any and all photos to promote my photo activities, but the photos are otherwise yours.
- Q. How do I pay you?
A. Your choice - cash or personal check at the time of the photo session, or PayPal after you have left my studio using any funding source PayPal will accept. The eMail address you would use for PayPal payments is:
- Q. I notice that you show a lot of the photos you take while promoting your photography. What if I do not want you to show the photos you take during our session?
A. Not a problem! Simply double the amount of the base fee for the photo session. Instead of my asking you to sign a model release, I will sign a 'Do Not Publish' agreement for you. I am always willing to exempt from publishing a 'single type' of photo taken during our session for no additional cost.
- Q. Are you licensed?
A. Yes! I operate under San Jose Business Taxation License #180012409 as @MY-FAMILIA.com. , and do so under several names with each intended to reflect the type of photography being offered. Those names are:
Web sites for the above may be accessed at : SHEEBAH.com.
- Q. If and when I'm interested in pursuing this matter further, what should I do?
A. Bookmark this page, so you can easily find your way back, and then eMail me
when you are ready. In that eMail, give me your phone number and the best time for me to call you.
To contact JEWELERS-STUDIO for any reason,